Does this sound like you? You’re blissfully singing along to a favorite song when the staring, pointing and laughing starts. What?! No way! My friends can’t be laughing at ME, can they? Everyone knows She was a fax machine, she kept her modem clean are the lyrics to AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long,” right?
Mmmm, not so much. But you’re not alone! Misunderstanding popular song lyrics happens to the best of us. Some of the most famous mangled verses are Jimi Hendrix’s Excuse me, while I kiss this guy, (actually: “’Scuse me while I kiss the sky”) and Nirvana’s Here we are now – in containers (in fact: “Here we are now, entertain us”) from “Smells Like Teen Spirit.”
Below, we’ve asked friends, family and trolled the Internet to find the funniest misheard lyrics. Because MyMusicCloud is staging a bad music lyric intervention. With our amazing cloud-based music delivery service, you’ll never belt out a bogus chorus again. (No more, Get back, hump a cat! Elton John fans.) Just hit the Lyrics button on our site and it fetches the correct words (Get back, Honky Cat) for you instantly.
So unless you just like to irritate your friends by shouting the wrong lyrics (and who doesn’t, really???), please stop reading now. Because if not, you might actually want to Shake it like a polarbear ninja, shake it, aha, shake it (With apologies to Outkast’s “Hey Ya”).
Here are our favorite misheard song lyrics. What are yours? Tell us in the comments section …
10. ABBA’s “Dancing Queen”: Wrong lyric: See that girl, watch her scream, kicking the dancing queen…
Right lyric: See that girl, watch that scene, diggin’ the dancing queen.
9. THE KILLERS’ “When You Were Young”: Wrong Lyric: He doesn’t look a thing like Cheese Nips …
Right lyric: He doesn’t look a thing like Jesus.
8. BOB DYLAN: “Blowin’ in the Wind”: Wrong Lyric: The ants are my friends, they’re blowin’ in the wind
The ants are a-blowin’ in the wind… Right lyric: The answer, my friends, is blowin’ in the wind, the answer is blowin’ in the wind.
7. GREEN DAY: “Time of Your life”: Wrong Lyric: Another turnip, boy, the Ford stuck in the road…
Right lyric: Another turning point, the fork stuck in the road.
6. MANFRED MANN’S EARTH BAND: “Blinded by the Light” Wrong Lyric: Wrapped up like a douche (or goose) … Right Lyric: Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night.
5. BON JOVI: “Living On A Prayer” Wrong Lyric: It doesn’t make a difference if we’re naked or not … Right Lyric: It doesn’t make a difference if we make it or not.
4. BOB MARLEY: “Jammin’” Wrong Lyric: Pajamas! … Right Lyric: We’re jammin…
3. ADELE: “Chasing Pavements” Wrong lyric: Should I give up, or should I just keep chasing penguins?
Right lyric: Should I give up, or should I just keep chasing pavements?
2. ELTON JOHN: “Bennie & the Jets” Wrong lyric: She’s got electric boobs, a mohawk too,
you know I’m ready for the magaaazine… Right lyric: She’s got electric boots, a mohair suit, you know I read it in a magaaazine.
1. THE BEATLES: “Michelle” Wrong lyric: Michelle ma belle, some say monkeys play piano well,
play piano well. Right lyrics: Michelle, my belle, sont des mots qui vont très bien ensemble,
très bien ensemble.